The following is a partial list of the collections at the Sanford-Springvale Historical Museum.

Photographs
Our greatest treasure is our collection of 1,500 glass negatives of local scenes. These were taken between the 1880s and the advent of World War I.  Virtually all were the work of Fred Philpot, a professional photographer. Our index, which includes prints made from the negatives, fills 34 loose leaf binders. Our photographic collection includes thousands of black & white photographs arranged in boxes by category. We also have an extensive collection of color slides of local scenes. These are largely the work of the late Russell Goodall.

 

Printed Matter

 

Sanford and Springvale Newspapers
La Justice de Sanford, complete bound years from 1929 to 1942, and all but two issues for 1943 & 1944.
Sanford Tribune, 1902 to 1977, when publication ceased.  The early years are very fragile.  Most issues from 1895, when publicationcommenced, to 1901 are also available. These earliest issues are extremely fragile.
Springvale Advocate, 1905 to 1921
Sanford Star, January 1977, when publication commenced, to June 1979, when publication ceased
Sanford News, March 1980, when publication commenced, to date
Sanford-Springvale Register - July 2006 when publication commenced to August 2008 when publication ceased
Weekly Observer – Sanford, Springvale, Acton, Lebanon, April 2006, when publication commenced, to date.
Velmo Times, Published by Sanford Mills Velmo Executives Association
20 issues published from 1925 to 1927, Society lacks some issues.
 

Sanford and Springvale Directories
1893 to 1984 – 35 volumes (all published)
Five Later Directories:
1987 to 1990 and 1995

 

School and College Publications
Nasson College Yearbooks, 1914 to 1983 Complete
Sanford High School Yearbooks, 1929 to Date Complete
Also scattered SHS Yearbooks prior to 1929
Sanford Junior High School Yearbooks 1978 (year first issued) to date except 1984
Red and White, Sanford High School Newspaper 1927 to 1987 (not complete)

 

Sanford Town Reports
1857 to Date Complete
Scattered issues prior to 1857

 

Books of Local Interest
Edwin Emery, History of Sanford, 1901, reprinted with index, 1987
Albert L. Prosser, Editor, Bicentennial History of Sanford, 1968
Harland H. Eastman, Sanford & Springvale in the Days of Fred Philpot, 1985
Harland H. Eastman, Sanford & Springvale, A Backward Glance, 1988
Harland H. Eastman, A Cluster of Maine Villages, Sanford and Springvale,
Acton, Shapleigh and Alfred, 1991
Harland H. Eastman, Villages on the Mousam, Sanford and Springvale, 1995
Madge Baker, Woven Together in York County, Maine, 1999
Albert L. Prosser, A History of Nasson College, 1977, unpublished manuscript
Albert L. Prosser & Richard D’Abate, Nasson, The Seventy Years, 1993
History of York County, 1880
Biographic Review of York County, 1896
York Deeds, 1666 to 1737, 18 volumes complete
Frederick Boyle, Early Families of Sanford- Springvale, 1988
Frederick Boyle, Later Families of Sanford- Springvale, 1995
G. T. Ridlon, Saco Valley Settlements and Families, 1895
Atlas of York County, Maine, 1872
Wall Map of York County, Maine, 1856
Sprague's Journal of Maine History, 1913 to 1926, 14 volumes complete
The Historical Society’s collections include many other publications with material of local interest including various histories and genealogies of nearby towns.

 

Manuscript Holdings
Records of the Creation of the Mousam River Mills,
A complete archive of over 2,000 documents, housed in 18 binders, covering the building of this woolen mill.  All are dated from 1873 to 1875. Included are receipts for hay for horses clearing the land, receipts and railway bills for building materials, invoices for looms and other machinery, orders for raw materials and finally the manufacture and sale of its first products.  This record of the building of a nineteenth century woolen mill is perhaps unique.

 

Other Business Records
York County Poultry Association 1914-1917
Sanford Co-Operative Association 1906-1933
Springvale Aqueduct Company 1872-1887
Springvale Realty Company 1912 -
The Nasson Estate 1897-1906
York Utilities Company 1923-1937
Thomas Goodall’s Letter Book 1859-1865
Springvale National Bank 1905-1933
Louis B. Goodall-William Campbell Correspondence 1925-1931
Springvale Realty Company 1912-2010

 

Organizations
Ethelbert Nevin Club 1928-1964
Catholic Order of Forestiers, Sanford 1920-1925 & 1931-1948
Odd Fellows Lodge of Springvale 1872-1887
Fifty-Plus Club
Sons of the American Legion, Thomas W. Cole Post #19
Business & Professional Women of Sanford & Springvale
Springvale Women’s Club
Lieut. W. H. Miller Camp 44, Sons of Union Veterans
Treasurer’s Records 1940-1971
Willard Post, GAR, Springvale 1883 – 1915
Springvale Women’s Club 1948-1961
Sanford Town Club 1918-1943
Sons of St. George 1884-1971
Victoria Lodge (sister org. to Sons of St. George) 1895-1906
Boston Veteran Association, from its founding in 1829 to its disbandment in 1857.  The association became the Independent Boston Veterans in December 1854.  The records cover the whole period 1829 to 1857.
Soul of Soldiery, a militia type, Boston organization formed in 1805.  The records range from 1807 to 1831

 

Ledgers and Account Books
Orrin Roberts, Blacksmith, Account Book 1877-1886
Albert J. Smith Account Book 1881-1910
William Emery Store, Springvale 1844-1845
Jotham Moulton’s Store Account Book 1770-1772
Samuel Nasson’s Store Account Book 1778-1800
John Storer’s Account Book 1828-1830
Francis Augustus Allen’s Cloth Book 1832-1833
Records of Sawmill at Willard’s Privilege 1823-1826
John Dennett’s Store 1852 -
John Dennett’s Day Books 1857-1874
John Dennett’s Account Book 1874-1900
Oliver Dennett’s Store 1984-1906
E. & E.E. Goodwin’s Store, Account Book for 1882
Robert Thompson Account Book 1835 –
Elihu Parson’s Account Book, 1841-1857
Lester Crenner, Carpenter, Account Book 1904-1915

 

Sanford Town Records
Letters and Other Records from 1770-1866, but mostly prior to 1800
Assessor’s Valuation Ledgers 32 volumes 1833-1890

 

Other
William Willard Boyd’s Manuscript Map of Springvale 1862 (41” x 43”) with names of property owners
Original Record Book of the Sanford & Lebanon Christian Church From 1832 (year organized) to 1844
Diaries of George E. Allen 1874-1897
Hobbs Family Correspondence and Other Papers
Batchelder Family Letters 1884-1905
Memories of Donald Turner 1907-1987
Record of baseball games played between 1876 and 1884 by the Sanford Baseball Team and the Live Oaks Baseball Team of Sanford

 

Artifacts
Our collections of artifacts are too varied and extensive to include on this web site.